Monday, September 14, 2009

Isaiah 43:25

"I, even I, am the one who wipes out your transgressions for My own sake, And I will not remember your sins."
Isaiah 43:25

This verse boggles my mind. I think in all of the Old Testament that I've read, it is the best verse that describes how God forgives us. It also shows most clearly (to me) how different we are from God.

God created us in His own image, and I don't dispute that, but I guess if nothing else, this verse really pounds into my head the fact that we are so fallen. We sin, and God forgives, and not only that, he also doesn't even remember them. He wipes them away. I "forgive" all the time, but does that mean I don't remember who slighted me, how, why, when, and where? No. I remember slights and wrongs so vividly sometimes that only decades can wash them away. Even now as I write, the smallest sliver of me holds on to grudges stemming from interactions long since past.

So what do we do? We "weary" God with our "iniquities." We "burden" Him with our sins. Every time I'm really convicted of sin, I make the decision to just not sin anymore. "I won't do this again, Lord." I say that. And I truly desire to fulfill that promise, but more and more as I grow up, I realize that while it is crucial that I keep trying, it is even more crucial to realize that I never will be perfect, not while on this earth. The key is to not use it as an excuse, but rather as an impetus. Rather than whining about how nothing will ever be good enough, we must humbly request forgiveness from our Father, and accept it fully and graciously from Him. The best way to honor Him is to trust that He truly is powerful enough to wipe our slates clean and give us second, third, fourth, and hundredth chances.

So this is where my head has been at this afternoon, I hope people can take a small nugget, and hopefully ultimately be encouraged. Because that is my goal in writing. I long to affirm and encourage, even if at times I seem like I hate my sinful self (for the record...I do.), I know that in the end, that sinful self is gonna go the way of the VCR, and that, my friends, is good news.
Seth

No comments:

Post a Comment